It's been TWENTY ONE YEARS ago today since my mom passed away.
As I have reflected on the past 21 years of my life without her in them. I first felt, "Wow! It's amazing how much time can heal." But at the exact moment I also felt it's amazing how much time DOES NOT heal! Which led me to my final conclusion... it is a great thing that time is not the ultimate healer. What a sad world we would live in if we were all just waiting on time to lift our burdens & our sorrows. I am grateful for the knowledge that I do have. To know that this separation between me & my mom "shall only be but a small moment," in the grand scheme of things. What a joyous day that will be for me to not only be with her again, but introduce her to my family.
I know this is kind of a weird picture, but it is the most recent one I have of us together.
I like it though because it has a story... this probably was just an ordinary day & she wanted me to put on my ballet costume for my up coming recital to show the company we had at our house. She always wanted me to do that & it always embarrassed me. I'm sure I was trying to negociate a deal telling her I'd put it on the leotard if she didn't make me put the bonnet on... there was no deal,
"It's not complete without the bonnet."
This is perhaps a better picture. I love her genuine smile & interest as I open my birthday gifts.
Lesson to be learned here folks is: TO TAKE MORE PICTURES!



8 comments:
Lesson learned! :) Thank you for sharing this blog post about your mom. It's never easy blogging about such important/difficult things. You are a great friend. Sending you lots of love on this day!!
I think that this has been my favorite of all your posts. Love ya Rhi.
Aw, such a sweet post. Look at how long your hair was! We really miss you guys. We're working on making it to Utah for the reunion, and then going to Seattle after that for the family trip. What sucks is that Kenzie will be 2 by then and we'll have to pay for her plane ticket. :(
Wow. Has it really been that long? It feels like it wasn't that long ago. I have really fond memories of your mom and I have fond memories of you and Sam staying with us a lot. The long hair curly (braid style) is just how I remember you at that age. So funny. I have to say you have done amazing things with your life and have a beautiful family, I know your mom is watching and is proud of you. I think of your guys situation often and it makes me journal, blog, and take pictures a lot more. Thanks for the reminder! You are awesome!
Thanks for calling Marni the other day it meant a lot to her. Kris
Your mom is so cute! I know she has missed you as much as you have missed her. She has had one advantage though. I believe she has been able to see you and help you in your life from the other side of the vail. It has probably been a great compfort to her, watching you make good safe choices. I think she is thankful for the things you have done in being a stalwart and the love and friendship you show to your family. What a joy and a blessing it is to have you as part of our family as well!!! I love you! You are and incredible and amazing person.
So glad Ambs told me about this post...and, you know me, of course I couldn't read it or view those priceless pictures without an immediate swelling of my heart and misty eyes. I know I have expressed this many times to you, but I hope you know how extremely happy she is seeing you create your own happiness in this life. You are raising and caring for Maeva as she did you; loving and teaching you and your sibblings with much faith and from the depth of her heart and soul, and...she probably also laughed as hard as Ryan did at your Valentine exhibit!! She left a little bit of herself in you (and the others)and I'm SO glad...you are such an awesome wife and mommy! I'm sure she delights in watching Maeva grow...I would love to talk about "grandma things" with her. Suzanne is still missed immensely, but, oh, how grand the reunion will be!! We will all keep taking pictures!! Thanks for the beautiful tribute to her.
Luv you! Aunt Calleen
I tried to leave a comment on this post like a week ago and it wouldn't let me. But I wanted to say thanks for sharing something to personal and heartfelt. Such a wonderful post that really makes you remember the good things while they last.
Post a Comment