I have been very hesitant to document this injury, but it is what is happening right now & I can't very well skip over it, although I wish I could. Thursday night Maeva burned her little hands on the oven. It is hard to explain via text how it happened. I will do my best to make it clear.
She was playing in the storage drawer under the (hot) oven... I know, I know what was I thinking right? The drawer itself doesn't get hot, but the part of the oven that the drawer covers when it is shut does. Maeva was about to fall in the drawer and caught herself by putting her hands on that hot part. It must have burned immediately, because she didn't cry until we puller her away. She had big white blisters instantly on all ten finger tips & both palms. We rushed her to the cold water, it took her a minute to understand that the cold water would soothe the burn. Her instinct was to wrap those little hot bubbly hands around me. Which had to be so painful! When she did realize the water was the best aid she'd keep them in there till they got numb, pull them out, touch the faucet & burst into tears again.
One of my biggest fears had just occurred. A serious injury when I have NO car, NO car seat, No Ryan. Thank goodness we were at my friend's when this happened & luckily she happened to have an extra car seat already in her car at the time, so she took us to the instacare. Where we waited 40 min. I had to spray Silver on Maeva's hands every few minutes to keep her pain down & when we finally got into a room I held her over this sink until the Dr. came in. They told me they would have to cut off the blisters, so they wouldn't pop & get infected. Luckily Ryan showed up right then to hold Maeva down while they cut the burnt skin off of the palms of her hands & fingertips. I don't know who was is more pain me or Maeva. Is there anything more heart-wrenching in this world than to see your child in pain? I was completely helpless & kept thinking of all the times Ryan has told me how hard it is for him to draw blood from the little kids at work when their mom's are crying and over-reacting. I kept telling myself to be tough & I didn't shed one tear. I wasn't sure whether to be proud of myself or not.
Here she is the night we got home getting ready to say prayers. It has been a very hard weekend on all of us especially Maeva. She is usually a very busy little girl, but now she can't use her hands at all. She is a pretty good sport about it till night time & then she comes unglued. I'm sure it's frustration that her hands don't work & the pain. She is too little for pain killers, so she just gets Ibuprofen. It hurts my heart to look at her & see her use her mouth & nose to feel her touchy feely books. She tries to hold my hand with her little mitt. We decided this morning to call her mitts "puppets" & draw faces on them, so they are more like toys than a handi-cap.
The Dr. said it'd be about a month before they will be all the way better, but that the bandages could probably come off Monday. That will be a miracle though. I've seen her hands without the bandages & they don't look very good to me. If it wasn't so frightening maybe I'd post a picture of them, but really anyone with a weak stomach might lose their lunch.
It could always get worse & we are grateful they were only 2nd degree burns & they were not on her face, but so far in Maeva's short little life this has been the hardest thing for me to go through and I'm sure there will be more injuries to come. We were at the park with some friends yesterday & my friend over heard people talking about "that little girl's hands" I guess one guy said, "Maybe she has a genetic disorder" My friend piped up & told them what happened. I know I can't be mad at strangers for looking at her & wondering what's wrong. I know I've done that before, but to be on the other end of it is devastating. I wish so badly that I could take her burned hands for her.
Here she is the night we got home getting ready to say prayers. It has been a very hard weekend on all of us especially Maeva. She is usually a very busy little girl, but now she can't use her hands at all. She is a pretty good sport about it till night time & then she comes unglued. I'm sure it's frustration that her hands don't work & the pain. She is too little for pain killers, so she just gets Ibuprofen. It hurts my heart to look at her & see her use her mouth & nose to feel her touchy feely books. She tries to hold my hand with her little mitt. We decided this morning to call her mitts "puppets" & draw faces on them, so they are more like toys than a handi-cap.
The Dr. said it'd be about a month before they will be all the way better, but that the bandages could probably come off Monday. That will be a miracle though. I've seen her hands without the bandages & they don't look very good to me. If it wasn't so frightening maybe I'd post a picture of them, but really anyone with a weak stomach might lose their lunch.
It could always get worse & we are grateful they were only 2nd degree burns & they were not on her face, but so far in Maeva's short little life this has been the hardest thing for me to go through and I'm sure there will be more injuries to come. We were at the park with some friends yesterday & my friend over heard people talking about "that little girl's hands" I guess one guy said, "Maybe she has a genetic disorder" My friend piped up & told them what happened. I know I can't be mad at strangers for looking at her & wondering what's wrong. I know I've done that before, but to be on the other end of it is devastating. I wish so badly that I could take her burned hands for her.

12 comments:
Oh no! That's awful! Poor Maeva. :( At first when I saw the pics of her hands wrapped up I thought of your April Fool's joke, but I guess this time you were serious! I hope her little hands recover quickly!!
I'm so sorry that happened to you guys. It seriously is the hardest thing in the world to see your little one in pain and there is nothing you can do but love them. It's times like these you wish so hard that those magical kisses would truly take away the pain as usual. I pray that her hands will get better asap and that she can throw away her hand puppets forever :) good luck!!!
I am so so sorry. That has got to be the hardest thing, seeing your child go through the pain of something like that and not being able to use her hands. I love how you made them into little puppets. :)
oh I just want to cry about it. I would take her burnt hands for her too if I could. There are times I think licking our children up in cages so they are safe from everything would be so much easier.
Poor Beva, it makes me so sad:(
Oh I feel so bad! I can't believe people were talking about her hands at the park. A genetic disorder? Seriously?
I am so sorry! What a hard thing to go through. I'm glad she is on her way to recovering. You guys are such wonderful parents. What a great idea to make puppets with the Bandage. Love you all!
So sad for Maeva...also so sad for you. I can't imagine going through that! I hope she heals quickly and enjoys her puppets as much as possible!
Oh no! Poor little thing :[ This makes my heart hurt! That's one of my fears about having kids is having to see them go through this kind of stuff. What a tough little cookie she is though!
Rhiannon, that is so heart wrenching! I talked to Ryan at church on Sunday, and he told me what had happened. Is there anything you need or anything that I can do for you? Hopefully her little hands heal quickly.
Oh my gosh! That is so sad! I am sorry tht you are going through that and for poor Maeva. Oh so sweet. Loved the puppets. We are thinking about her. Hang in there!
That is SO sad!!! I hope she is feeling better soon!
Oh my goodness! Poor Maeva! I can't believe that. I'm glad she's going to be okay though. I hate it when babies get hurt.
Post a Comment